0 hours 10 mins
0 hours 20 mins
24 hours 30 mins
7 OZ. sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
3 packages unflavored gelatin
1-½ cups of granulated sugar
1-cup light corn syrup
½ Tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1. Put half the toasted coconut in an 8 x 12 inch non metal pan (or put parchment paper in a metal pan and let the paper hang over the sides for easy lifting when the marshmallows are done.)
2. Combine the gelatin and ½ cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.
3. Make the syrup. Combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt and ½ cup water in a small saucepan and cook on medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.
4. With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick. That should take about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.
5. Put the marshmallow mix on top of the coconut prepared pan. Smooth the top of the mixture with damp hands. Top with the second half of coconut.
6. Allow to dry uncovered at room temperature overnight.
7. Remove the marshmallow square from the pan and cut into individual squares. Roll the sides of the marshmallows not covered in coconut in the confectioner’s sugar. You can store these at room temperature or pack them up as gifts