0 hours 5 mins
0 hours 8 mins
0 hours 30 mins
1 Cup Sugar
½ Cup Light corn syrup
1 Cup Pistachios
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tsp. Baking soda
1 Tsp. Kosher salt
Flaky salt (Maldon is my salt of choice)
1. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil and put it in a 200-degree oven to warm. The tin foil is optional; I use it because it makes cleanup easier.
2. Put the sugar and corn syrup in a large measuring cup and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir every 90 seconds to be sure it is all mixed together and combined into caramel.
3. Stir in the pistachios and continue to microwave for another 3-3 ½ minutes. (You’ll need to stir the mixture several times during that time.)
4. Add the butter, baking soda and salt. It will bubble up furiously. Stir and quickly spread on the warmed, prepared cookie sheet.
5. Immediately sprinkle with the flaky salt and let it cool completely. Then break into pieces and serve or package as gifts.
NOTE: This is an easy, delicious candy to make in small batches. I make this every year around the holidays – they make great gifts for neighbors and coworkers. I often bag these in cute cellophane bags and tie with a ribbon or put in a cookie tin for gift-giving. (See ideas in the FOOD GIFTS section on this site.)
While I’ll also make this same brittle on the stove using a candy thermometer, I find this so much easier and I don’t have to fuss at the stove. This brittle comes out perfect every time.
I recently got this tip about warming the cookie sheet before pouring the caramel and spreading it out. It gives you an extra minute to work and spread the caramel mix before it begins to harden. That made the whole process even easier and the brittle spread thinner.
Make up a batch or two and watch this disappear. Be sure to try some of my other candy recipes.