0 hours 30 mins
0 hours 25 mins
24 hours 55 mins
Candied Limequats and Syrup
2/3 C water
2/3 C sugar
Dash of salt
Around 8-10 large limequats
1/2 Cup butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup limequat syrup from Candied Limequats recipe above, strained (reserve the candied limequat slices to use as garnish)
2 Tsp. limequat juice
1 1/4 Cup unbleached white all-purpose flour
1 Tsp. baking powder
1/4 Tsp. salt
1/2 Cup 2 Percent milk
2 Tbsp. limequat syrup from Candied
Limequats recipe above, strained
1 Cup heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar
1. Bring water, sugar and salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Slice limequats very thin removing the seeds along the way (the seeds will make the syrup bitter). Add limequat slices to the boiling mixture and remove from heat. Let cool and then refrigerate overnight. This keeps real well in the refrigerator and there will be extra syrup to use in drinks.
NOTE: you’ll need to make the candied limequats and syrup the day before baking your cupcakes. Definitely worth the wait!
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°. Put cupcake liners into muffin tin.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Be sure to use room temperature butter. Mix butter first until creamy and then begin adding sugar slowly until well mixed and the sugar dissolves into the butter. It should be light and fluffy.
3. Add limequat syrup and juice. Mix until combined, than add eggs one at a time, mixing well.
4. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add some the dry mixture alternately with some of the milk into the butter mixture until all the ingredients are well combined.
5. Drop batter into muffin pan until they are about 3/4 full. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Let the muffins cool, then brush the tops of each cupcake with the limequat syrup. Let the cupcakes absorb the syrup.
7. While the syrup is being soaked into the muffin, make the whipped cream. Whip the heavy cream and confectioners sugar until thick and fluffy. Top each cupcake with a dollop of whipped cream and top with one candied Limequat slice. (Be sure to let excess syrup fall off first) Enjoy.
NOTE: The limequat syrup is Liquid Gold! I use it mixed into club soda for a refreshing drink and I use it to make margaritas and a great Limequat Vodka Martini! See my recipes in DISCOVERIES & INSPIRATIONS