0 hours 10 mins
0 hours 5 mins
0 hours 15 mins
My Curated Tastes is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
1/2 Lb. Medium Shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail removed
1 Tbsp. Patricia and Paul Garlic Olive Oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
16 Oz. Bag of coleslaw mix
8 Oz. Shredded Carrots
3 Green onions, chopped
1 Cup Pink grapefruit segments
8 Small corn tortillas
1 Small avocado, diced
1/2 Small pink grapefruit, cut into small wedges
2 Tbsp. Fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1/3 Cup Pink grapefruit juice
1/4 Cup Patricia and Paul White Grapefruit Balsamic Vinegar
3+ Tbsp. Honey
1/4 Tsp. Kosher salt
10 Grinds fresh black pepper
1) Slice the avocado and then cut into small dice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and put into a small bowl until ready to assemble.
2) Make the filling for the tacos. Add the coleslaw, shredded carrots, chopped green onion and cup of pink grapefruit segments into a large bowl. Sprinkle with a large pinch of salt and several grinds of fresh ground black pepper. Toss everything until well combined. Sprinkle with the parsley and put to the side.
3) Make the dressing. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until combined. Taste. If you wanted it sweeter or your grapefruit is very tart, feel free to add more honey. Add to the coleslaw mixture and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
4) In a bowl, add the shrimp and drizzle the olive oil over the shrimp and toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss again.
5) Spray a grill pan with cooking spray and grill the corn tortillas over a medium high heat until you have grill marks. Flip and grill the other side. About 1 1/2 – 2 minutes per side. Continue until all tortillas are grilled.
6) Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. When skillet is very hot, add the shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until cooked through. The shrimp will turn pink and start to curl. Remove from the heat.
7) Assemble the tacos. Layer two tortillas and top with a quarter of the shrimp, a tablespoon of the diced avocado and a nice heap of the coleslaw mixture making sure you get some grapefruit on every taco. This will make four tacos, two for each person. You will have a lot of extra coleslaw which is perfect on sandwiches and as a side dish with poultry and fish.
8) Squeeze the grapefruit wedges over the tacos. Enjoy!
NOTES: My garlic and grapefruit shrimp tacos are a unique and delicious pairing of sweet, tart, crunchy and garlicky flavors. This might become your favorite way of preparing your tacos. The specialty olive oil and balsamic vinegar definitely perk up this dish but feel free to use regular olive oil and white balsamic vinegar if that is all you have on hand. You can also purchase them at Patricia and Paul. I’d just add smashed and minced garlic to the olive oil and extra grapefruit juice to the dressing.
If you like shrimp and/or tacos, check out some of my other favorite recipes.