0 hours 10 mins
0 hours 15 mins
1. Heat the stock on the stove until boiling. Reduce to a simmer. Add the bouillon cube and stir until it is dissolved.
2. Add the tortellini and cook per the package instructions.
3. Add the fresh spinach one minute before the pasta is done.
4. Taste and adjust your salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve in soup bowls topped with fresh grated Parmesan cheese.
NOTE: This soup is fast and easy if you have your stock premade and waiting for you in the fridge or freezer. Homemade stock is what makes all the difference in this soup. Having it on hand is fabulous for all kinds of things and once you’ve made your own stock, you’ll see and taste the difference. When I make my stock, I don’t use a lot of salt since I’m not always sure how I’ll use the stock in later dishes. Since I’m using the stock today for a very simple soup, I add the bouillon cube to up the salt and chicken flavor but that is totally optional. You could just add salt to taste. I really like the fresh tortellini you can buy at the grocery store – Rana is a favorite of mine but Buitoni makes a pretty good one as well. But feel free to use the frozen tortellini you can get in the frozen food section at the grocery store – they work just fine. You can also try different flavors of tortellini to shake it up.
Fresh spinach (I like the baby spinach since the leaves are smaller and more tender) is the perfect ingredient for this soup. As with all my recipes, feel free to add some shredded chicken or turkey meat or other veggies. Make it your own. Grate the parm on top and enjoy.