0 hours 10 mins
0 hours 5 mins
0 hours 20 mins
1 Lb. Medium Shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail removed
½ Red bell pepper, cut into strips
½ Yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
½ Orange bell pepper, cut into strips
½ Medium yellow onion, sliced
¼ cup of Olive Oil
3 Tbsp. of honey
3 Tbsp. of lime juice
2 Tsp. chili powder
3 Garlic cloves finely minced
3 Limes, cut in half (one for guacamole and two for serving)
8 Whole Wheat Tortillas, warmed or grilled
Fat-Free Greek Yogurt (or sour cream)
Homemade salsa or store bought
Guacamole (recipe below)
1. Mix the shrimp, peppers and onions in a large plastic baggie. Whisk the oil, honey, lime juice, chili powder and garlic in a bowl or measuring cup and add to the baggie. Seal bag and make sure marinade is covering all the ingredients. Let sit for 20 minutes.
2. Heat a large skillet or cast iron skillet on the stove. Add the marinated shrimp and veggies to the pan and stir occasionally until the shrimp are cooked through and the veggies are just starting to soften (3-5 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, grill your tortillas in a grill pan on the stove, or on an outdoor grill or try microwaving them using this great item I found at the grocery store (a tortilla warmer). Just put the tortillas in the pouch and nuke for 1-2 minutes. They stay nice and warm and ready to top with the fajita mixture.
4. Top the grilled tortillas with a the shrimp and veggie mixture and serve with salsa, yogurt or sour cream and fresh guacamole (recipe below) and salsa. Don’t forget to serve with a lime wedge on the side.
1. Cut two avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop into a small bowl. Season the avocados with salt and pepper and the juice of one lime. Smash with a fork and serve.
NOTES: Shrimp fajitas with fresh guacamole is served all year round at my house. It is packed with veggies, shrimp and tons of flavor. All the toppings make it fun for the whole family and everyone can top there with what they like. Typically, I serve all the shrimp and veggies on a large platter that I’ve warmed in the oven. Next to it, I have a stack of grilled tortillas or I have tortilla warmer filled with tortillas…straight from the microwave! Put all the condiments in little bowls. Everyone likes different things but I usually put out bowls of the fresh guacamole, Greek non-fat yogurt, sour cream, chopped green onions, salsa, shredded cheddar cheese and a small bowl of sliced jalapenos.
To get started on the recipe, I slice up the bell peppers (different colored peppers makes a great presentation), the onion and jalapeno.
Next, I put my thawed and dried shrimp in a large baggie. In a bowl or measuring cup, whisk up the marinade ingredients and then add to the bag. Seal the bag and let sit on the kitchen counter for about 20 – 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in your cast iron skillet until really hot but not smoking. Add the veggies and cook for about a minute. Stir a couple of times. Add the shrimp and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
While the shrimp are cooking, you can grill your tortillas or use the tortilla warmer to heat them in the microwave…
Once the shrimp are cooked through, (they’ll curl and be pink and slightly firm), plate the shrimp and veggies and serve on a platter next to your grilled tortillas and all the condiments. Let everyone help themselves. Enjoy!
Do you like Mexican food? Try some of my other favorite recipes.
Garlic and Grapefruit Shrimp Tacos
The Best Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas