0 hours 10 mins
0 hours 10 mins
0 hours 20 mins
1. Make your Ranchero Sauce. Note: the preparation and cook times noted do not include the creation of the sauce. Get the recipe here.
2. Mix your turkey with the chorizo in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Form into four hamburger patties.
4. Spray a large cast iron skillet or grill pan with cooking spray and get real hot. Add the burgers and cook on one side for 3 minutes until charred. Flip the burgers and top with both cheeses. Cook for another 3 minutes. Cover the pan to allow the cheeses to get warm and start to melt. NOTE: the Queso Fresco does not completely melt.
5. Toast your burger buns on the grill or under the broiler in your oven until lightly toasted.
6. Assemble your burger. On the bottom of the bun, place the burger. Drizzle one to two tablespoons of the sauce on the burger patty. On the top bun, add the lettuce, tomato slice and two pickle slices. Put it all together and enjoy!
NOTE: OK, this is a winning burger (if I do say so myself). I eat a lot of turkey burgers and we all know they can use a little moisture. I’ll add ground mushrooms, chopped onion, etc. to get some moisture into the burger. However, adding this chorizo does double duty. I’m getting the fat the turkey really needs but also all these spices from the chorizo. The taste is fabulous.
Topping it with a melting cheese like cheddar PLUS a Mexican cheese (Queso Fresco) adds the perfect flavor profile. But what brings this all together is that Ranchero Sauce. I had made a big batch for my Huevos Rancheros breakfast and wanted to find new ways to use it. This was a great addition to this burger. It really brought all the Mexican flavors together. The pickle really cuts the spice and fat and is the perfect bite.
Try this one for sure. (But be sure to make that sauce ahead of time so this recipe is a breeze to pull together in the middle of the week.) Check out my Mini Ranchero Shrimp Tacos too. – Another great use for this sauce.