0 hours 10 mins
0 hours 15 mins
0 hours 25 mins
My Curated Tastes is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
4 Oz. Fresh claw crabmeat, drained and cartilage removed
1/4 Cup Panko
2 Tbsp. Chives, finely chopped + more for garnish
3 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. Jalapeño, finely chopped
3/4 Tsp. Paprika
3/4Tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 Tsp. Celery seeds
1/4 Tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 Boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen yellow corn kernels
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 24 cup mini-muffin tin with cooking spray. Put to the side.
2. Stir together the crabmeat, Panko, chives, mayonnaise, jalapeño, paprika, salt, celery seeds, and cayenne in a small bowl. Put to the side.
3. Mix cornbread mix, per box instructions, and stir in corn. Divide cornmeal mixture evenly among muffin cups. Spoon a heaping teaspoon of the crab mixture in the center of batter in each cup.
4. Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes.
5. Carefully remove muffins from pan, and place on a serving platter. Sprinkle with more chopped chives, and serve warm.
NOTES: This is one tasty bite of food. It really is the perfect appetizer to get things started. They are perfect at cocktail parties or on a buffet. I wanted to keep this appetizer affordable so rather than using lump crab meat which can be very expensive, I used fresh claw meat which is just as delicious but about half the price. I can buy a little 8 ounce container in the seafood department and use the other half to top salads, etc.
While I usually make my own cornbread, I was also looking for a shortcut on the day I made these. So, I used a store bought box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. This has been around for years and with good reason. It tastes pretty darn good and is a time saver when in a rush. I added corn to it to give it more substance and with the addition of crab, veggies and spices, it is perfect. If you want to make your own cornbread, try my Cornbread and Corn Muffin recipe.
This recipe will make 24 mini muffin appetizers but I have also turned these into regular sized muffins and served them with a salad for lunch. If you do that, you’ll get about 6 regular sized muffins and 1 – 2 per person is fine.
If you are looking for other appetizer ideas, check out my Starter Page. It is loaded with great appetizers for dinner parties, holidays and every day enjoyment. If you are loving crab, don’t miss my Avocado Mousse Toast with Crab or my Cheese Crab Toasts. Both are yummy.