1 Lb. Large Shrimp (keep the shells on while cooking)
3 heaping Tbsp. Mayonnaise (light mayonnaise or fat free Greek yogurt. FAGE is a favorite)
2 Celery stalks, finely diced
1/4 Yellow onion, diced
1 Lemon, zested
Kosher Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
Chopped Chives (optional)
2 Bay leaves
1 Tbsp. Whole black peppercorns
1 Tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning
1 Lemon, cut in half and squeezed into water and halfs added to water
1. Boil the water with the old bay seasoning, bay leaves & lemon on the stove. Add the shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes until pink and cooked through. Remove shrimp from cooking liquid and rinse under cold water. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Peel the shrimp and chop. (Leave shrimp in large pieces so there is texture and everyone can see that this is a shrimp salad.) Put in a bowl.
3. Chop the onion and celery into small dice and add to the bowl. Add salt and pepper and stir.
4. Add the mayonnaise and lemon zest and stir. Add chives if using. Refrigerate until cold. (At least one hour).
5. Garnish with more chopped chives and lemon zest. Serve on a bed on lettuce or on toasted brioche rolls. St. Pierre Brioche rolls are a good choice.
NOTES: This recipe is a great light lunch or brunch item and you can control how “light” you want to go by deciding on whether you use regular mayonnaise, a light mayonnaise or a Fat Free Greek yogurt as your base. I have and do use all of them depending on how I’m feeling on any given day. They all taste great. The shrimp do all the work so buy good quality, fresh shellfish and spend the time cooking the shrimp in the shells yourself – it’s worth the extra effort. However, if in a rush, feel free to buy peeled shrimp or even pre-cooked shrimp (I won’t tell!) but the taste of cooking your own shell-on- shrimp in a well-seasoned broth really does make a difference. All the flavor is in the shells.
If you like this shrimp recipe, be sure to try my Macadamia Crusted Shrimp, my Shrimp Cocktail and my Jicama Shrimp Wraps recipes. Sign up for my newsletters and I’ll send these right to your inbox.