0 hours 10 mins
0 hours 35 mins
0 hour 45 min
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lb. shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dry white wine or chicken stock
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1/8 tsp. saffron threads
1 clove garlic, crushed
1-1/2 lbs. veal cutlets
1/2 cup chicken stock
1. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Sauté shallots 6-7 minutes or until softened. Do not brown. Stir in sugar. Sauté another 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved.
2. Stir in 1/2-cup wine, vinegar, saffron, and salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium high.
3. Bring to a boil and simmer 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Heat remaining oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Sauté garlic 1 minute. Discard garlic.
4. Season veal with salt and pepper to taste. Cook veal 1-2 minutes per side or until cooked through. Transfer to a platter, cover with tinfoil and keep warm. Add remaining wine to skillet, stirring with a wooden spoon to deglaze.
4. Simmer 2 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half. Stir in stock and simmer another 3-4 minutes until mixture is reduced by half.
5. Serve veal with sauce and shallot mixture on top (with any extra on the side).
NOTE: It is sooooo easy to overcook veal cutlets. The meat is very lean and the cutlets are very thin. Work quickly and don’t over cook!